September 22

Overall today was a good day.

Tycen has developed a PDA (patent ductus arteriosis) which is basically a heart murmer that is caused by the pulmonary artery not closing after birth. It is fairly common in preemies (and full-term babies, too) but can lead to other symtoms if not managed well. The doctor thinks this is part of the reason that he isn't digesting his food well and his lungs are still somewhat "grainy." His bilirubin levels are still too high for him to come off phototherapy. I just feel so bad for him because he looks like he's uncomfortable and would like to be bundled up, which we cannot do because his skin has to be exposed to the light.

**Please pray that Tycen's ductus arteriosis would close and that his digestive system would mature quickly so he can tolerate his feeds better and get less gas in his tummy. This will help him to poop more which will bring his bilirubin down and allow him to come off phototherapy.

On the bright side of things....I got to do 1 hour of skin to skin time with Tycen today for the first time!! He was so adorable; he kept doing the rooting reflex and kept his mouth wide open for about 15 minutes! I felt bad like I was teasing him so I asked the nurse if I could give him a couple of drops of breastmilk which she agreed to. He was so happy and of course, wanted more :)
Tycen (first time cuddling with mommy!! I think he's hungry:) )

I also got a lot of bonding time with Tycen today during his hat check. He loves to open his eyes and follow mommy's voice. He also kept smiling at me which I hadn't seen before; it was priceless and a moment I'll never forget.
Tycen (during his hat check when flirting with mommy)

Shaylie and I did about 2 hours of Kangaroo Care (skin to skin) today! She is doing so great!! She loves not being under the phototherapy so that she can be swaddled.
Shaylie (our sweet little angel girl; she loves to put her hands under her chin like this)

My mom made speghetti dinner tonight. She brought it to the hospital and invited Kathy and David to join us. It was an emotional time for me because I miss being with my family. I cannot wait to take my babies home and share them with all my family and friends. We really do miss you all!