September 15

Scott and I were at home working on filling out the baby books when my water broke around 10:30 pm. As you could imagine, it was very scary for us. There was no question what had happened. We immediately rushed to the hospital and I was checked in my room by around 11:00 pm. They hooked me up to monitors and found that I was having pretty regular contractions, which I couldn't really feel. I realized then that I've probably been having contractions for quite a while and just thought that it was Tycen moving around.

They checked my cervix and I hadn't dilated at all, so it was decided that I'd be on bedrest as long as possible. I was given a steroid shot to help the babies lungs develop in case they did come soon. The goal was to wait 24 hours, then get another steroid shot which would take another 24 hours to completely take effect. Some women actually stay on bedrest after their membranes rupture for several weeks before delivering; it is very rare but a new membrane can reseal and new fluid can be formed. We were very hopeful. Even though we didn't end up making it that far, the babies still benefited from the first steroid shot.

We didn't get much sleep that night at all. I had a hard time not shaking uncontrollably, probably due to nerves. I also had really bad stomach/intestinal pains all night, again possibly from the medication or from nerves as well. The nurses and doctors were so kind and took very good care of me. Scott was amazing through the whole thing and did as much as he could to be supportive, positive and provide me comfort.