Tycen got his chest-tube out today! They decided to give him a very small dose of morphine to ease the pain of the procedure even though he had reacted badly to it before. He did well with the morphine and was so much more comfortable than he had been in the past few days. I just love watching him lie peacefully and not squirm in discomfort. I didn't get to do Kangaroo Care just yet with him because his heart-rate was a bit too high and would have bouts of low dips (because of the morphine) and he just had been through too much for the day. I really pray that I can do it tomorrow!!
Tycen did have some big poopy diapers (mommy's so proud!), which will help his bilirubin levels come down, but for now he is still on the phototherapy.
**Please pray for him that he will have less digestional discomfort (he is getting better about digesting the breastmilk, but they are still having to remove some of it that is not digested well) and that his intestines will mature quickly. As he is able to poop more regularly, his bilirubin will come down even more, as well, and then he can come off the phototherapy.
After looking at x-rays, Shaylie's PICC line was a little bit too far central than they would like it to be. They had to take it out just a bit and do another x-ray to see if it was in the right spot. Unfortunately, the line crossed to the opposite side, so they had to repeat the procedure again to try to get the line out a little bit more. This was so sad for me because it just takes a lot out of her to go through this over and over. Her lungs sure are developing, though, which of course is still hard for me to hear her cry and not be able to comfort her but also good that she's getting stronger. The second attempt was a success!! Praise God she doesn't have to go through that again!
Shaylie (without her CPAP on, but with her nose tape and velcro mustache)
Shaylie has had several poopy diapers today :) She is officially off the phototherapy light, so her eyes no longer have to be covered. It is too cute to watch her look around a lot when she is awake; she loves to follow mommy's voice :o)
Scott brought Jake and Sydney to the hospital today so I could see them. This was very emotional for me because I hadn't seen them in almost a week. I feel so badly that I cannot be with them. I know they would understand if they could. This was only my second time going outside since I was admitted (I met Scott in the courtyard of the hospital). Even walking outside on hospital property is hard for me. I feel very anxious being too far away from my babies.
My mom spent most of the day with me in the babies' rooms. I just love having her here with me! She has been so helpful, both physically with taking care of our house and watching the dogs and also emotionally. I love you, mom!!
Kathy went to Babies R' Us today and bought some preemie outfits. We found out yesterday that the babies will get to wear clothes soon; I didn't realize that they would wear normal clothes while here in the hospital. Thank you, Kathy for doing this. Our babies have the best grandmothers :)
The highlight of my day was getting to do OVER 2 HOURS of Kangaroo Care with Shaylie!! This makes me so incredibly happy, which isn't really the right word to explain it, but I have never felt this kind of happiness before in my life as I do when I have her in my arms.
Shaylie (with mommy and daddy and close up with mommy during skin to skin time)
We asked the neonatologist what are some of the common difficulties that preemies face; this is what he said:
**Prayer requests: in addition to praying for Tycen's intestinal development, please also pray for...
*intracranial hemorrhage: this is much less common beyond 3-5 days of life, but is still a concern. Please pray that our babies' brains and nervous systems will develop without any complications.
*infection: this is because of all the IV lines the babies are on. Please pray that all health-care providers and other people, including mommy and daddy, will be extra cautious about washing hands and keeping things sterile. Pray that our babies will not face any infection problems.
*NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis): this is an intestinal disease that requires surgery. If either baby has to have surgery, they would have to be transferred to Emanual Hospital. Please pray that both babies would have completely healthy digestive tracts and would not face this awful condition.


