Tycen's Owie

Tycen had his first trip to the Emergency Department in early June. God was definitely looking out for our little man because we just happened to be at the hospital when he got his big owie...

I haven't taken the kids to one of my doctor appointments since one of my first appointments because, well, it isn't a whole lot of fun for any of us :) Since I have appointments every 2 weeks, either Scott will come home from work or we'll ask Kathy to watch Tyce and Shay and Scott will come with me.

This particular day, we decided it'd be fun for us all to go the my doctor appointment because I knew I was getting an ultrasound and we thought the kids might enjoy seeing the baby now that she's bigger and it's a little easier to tell what you're looking at.

As we were getting out of the car, I locked the door and put my keys in my purse (as I usually do so that I can have free hands by the time the kids get out of the car in order to quickly hold both of their hands in the parking lot...us mommas always have to be one step ahead :). Anyhow, as Tyce closed his door, he got his index finger caught...and the door was completely shut tight! Oh boy, my first instinct was to open the door as quickly as I could but when I realized it was locked it felt like an eternity as I tried to remain calm and fish my keys from my purse. It was probably 5-10 seconds before I could unlock and open the door and the whole time I felt so so bad for my little buggy boy.

Amazingly, Tyce didn't have a big gash in his finger, but he did have an abrasion and his finger quickly began to swell and bruise. He was in so much pain that I thought he might vomit because he was crying and coughing so hard. We decided it'd be best for Scott to take Tycen to the Emergency Department and I (sadly) went to my doctor appointment with Shaylie. I can't describe how difficult it was to leave my little guy during such a traumatic experience. In hindsight, I probably should've cancelled my doctor appointment but I was honestly in a bit of a state of shock. It's so hard to see your little ones in so much pain. I informed my doctors office about what had happened in the parking lot and my doctor appointment went very quickly that day so that I could go meet up with my little guy in the ED.

Here's a picture of his finger before they put his splint on:











They took X-rays of his finger and it was hard to say definitively that he had a fracture. They saw a line that they said may have been a hairline (small) fracture or may have just been his growth plate. I don't know a ton about reading X-rays, but I do know that growth plates are at the end of bones and this little line they saw was in the middle of his bone. Anyhow, my guess is he did have a little fracture. They wanted him to wear a splint on his finger for 2 weeks, which he could only take off for baths.

This picture was taken the afternoon of the big event...as you can see, he was worn out! After my doctor appointment, I took both kids to the Junior Rose Parade in Portland, which was a nice distraction and treat for the kids because they love parades.

The timing of his owie was perfect because the day he was able to get his splint off was our first really warm day of the summer, so we got to celebrate by going swimming in the outdoor pool at our gym! :) Thank God that kids are so resilient and He can heal all of our owies, big and small!!