Papa and Scott built the garden boxes one weekend when I was working, they turned out awesome!
Papa then filled up both boxes with garden soil a couple of different evenings after he got off work:
...with a couple of little helpers, of course :)
After the garden boxes were built and ready for planting, I went to Yard n' Garden and bought a bunch of seeds/starts for our garden. Tycen fell asleep on the way home and took a nap on the couch while Shaylie and I filled the first box with sugar snap peas, orange and yellow bell peppers, cucumber, lots of strawberries and a few marigolds to help keep the bugs away from the produce.
The finished product:
It just so happened that Shaylie fell asleep in the car and took a nap on the couch the following day, so Tyce and I got to fill the second box together with two types of carrots and two types of lettuce, butternut squash, summer squash, zucchini, pumpkin, three types of tomatoes, marigolds and nasturtiums.
We also planted these carnations in the first box near the snap peas...I love carnations!
In addition to the garden boxes, I also planted an apricot tree in the backyard, too. We may add a pear or apple tree in the backyard and possibly blueberry or raspberry bushes next year, too.
I have good memories of my mom teaching me how to garden when I was young, so it's extra special to be able to share this with my kids, too! They're such great little helpers and I look forward to working in the garden with them all summer/fall.
Thank you so much, Papa, for all of your hard work and help in making our beautiful garden boxes! We are so grateful for all of your love and support and we hope to be able to share lots of fresh produce with you this summer!! :)






