We were thankful that she didn't break any skin, however her cheek did get very swollen and had a bruise almost immediately. I tried to ice it, but probably only got about 5 minutes before she refused anymore. The next morning she woke up with a pretty big bruise on her cheek as well as around the inside of her eye, where I think the blood pooled as I'm pretty sure she didn't hit her eye at all. Anyhow, two weeks later and the bruise is still there, although it's looking much better. Here are some pictures of her owie; although it was hard to capture the bruise on camera because it never looked as dark in the pictures as it did in person.
Sweet Shay Shay, the day after her big fall:
So many people would look at Shaylie and say, 'Oh, poor thing, did you get an owie? What happened?!' Most of the time she'd give them a blank stare because I'm pretty sure she'd either forgotten or gotten over the fact that she had a big bruise covering 1/3 of her face.
A few days after her fall:
Pointing to her owie:
What a tough little cookie she is:
Tyce also got a big owie a few days after Shaylie got hers, only his didn't leave any visible/physical signs, just emotional (...and probably mostly for his mommy). The kids were playing at a community park that we've never been to before. It was a neat park in that it was right next to a barn that had both cows and horses. Tyce was over by the fence (that was about 30 feet from the playground structure) checking out the animals and I was standing about 10 feet behind him watching him.
It all happened in what seemed like very slow motion...I saw him reach his hand through the chain-link fence and grab on to a hot wire that was about 6 inches behind and attached to the fence. My heart absolutely sank when I saw him jump and start to cry. I felt so awful for him. I was so disappointed that I didn't see the hot wire before he reached for it and also that the hot wire was even there in the first place...right next to a community park and easily within reach of a two year-old. After Tyce grabbed it, I realized there were little signs (think 3x5 card) on the hot wire spaced out about every 10 feet that said, 'Danger. Electric Fence.'
I tried calling the city to see if they could help to fix this hazard, but haven't been able to get a hold of anyone that knows how to help yet. I'm thinking they either need a HUGE sign for parents to see or better yet, they need to move the hot wire about 2 feet inside the fence. Anyhow, Tyce recovered quite well...I'm still working on it ;)
Tyce at home after the park incident, showing where he got his owie:
We thank the Lord these owies weren't any worse than they were and that He heals all of our wounds, big and small!


