Scott and I (& Lyssie) ran in the Race for the Homeless this summer. It was our first time running in it, but something that our church organizes every year to raise money for local homeless people. They have a 5k and 10k race, as well as a little fun run for kids (Tycen and Shaylie did this a few years ago).
Scott and I ran the 10k and had a lot of fun! We had planned to run together, but since this was my first organized race I couldn't help but let my endorphins get the best of me! I know, crazy it was my first race since I run so much, but I've always been hesitant to make running competitive because I thought it may take the peacefulness away from it for me -- even if I run in a race and tell myself I'm not competing, I do. It's just in my nature. I don't so much compete against other runners as I do myself, making sure I push myself as hard as I can.
I pushed Lyssie in the jogging stroller and both Scott and I agreed that we had fun running solo since we could go at our own pace. I had been running frequently, but Scott didn't train at all and did SO good for not running more than a couple of miles before our race! I ran just over an 8-minute per mile pace and Scott ran just under a 9-minute per mile pace. The run was in downtown Vancouver, starting at officer's row, along the Columbia river and then back through Fort Vancouver.
Here's what Lyssie looked like after the race...it must've wore her out! ;)
We had a lot of fun and I hope we can do this together more often! :)






