Grandma Jan came up to visit on Mother's Day, which made it an extra special day! :)
I worked on Saturday before Mother's Day, so Tyce and Shay went to the Farmer's Market with Daddy and Grandma Jan:
Shaylie helped Grandma Jan pick out flowers for Mother's Day:
Watching a little concert at Esther Short Park:
Daddy helping the kids sign and decorate my cards:
On Mother's Day, Scott woke up early and made us all an amazing breakfast...I was so impressed!! He made veggie omelets, toast and coffee...look at how he put the chopped tomatoes in a heart shape, how sweet is that?!
The chef...notice all the bowls he has lined up on the counter with chopped veggies :)
After breakfast and a leisurely morning, Grandma Jan and I went to get pedicures :) It was so nice to have both my children and my mom to celebrate Mother's Day!
Scott and I got to go to the gym together (which is a very rare occasion, as we usually have to take turns going) while the kids took their naps. We then went to an early dinner with Papa, Grandma Kathy, Nick, Rachael and Gracie.
I had to include this picture because of the memory it brings...
Ever since I was a little girl, I've always dreamed of having children of my own. I would always think about having a little girl and doing her hair everyday. I'm not so sure that Shaylie is quite as thrilled about this bonding experience as I am, but hopefully she'll look back at these pictures someday and be happy that I loved doing her hair so much :)
In this picture, I was doing Shaylie's hair before leaving for dinner...she was particularly unhappy about it this time, but after some sweet talking, consoling and a little bribing, she 'put-up' with it. She then ran to the mirror and got the biggest smile on her face when she saw how cute she looked (which she often does :)
As much as I love doing Shaylie (and Tycen's!) hair, I do make sure to try and keep them grounded by telling them that what is inside our heart is much more important than how we look on the outside. We've been talking a lot about what that means, being kind and loving, and having a heart filled with Jesus Christ and The Holy Spirit.
Mother's Day is so special to me for so many reasons. I love to celebrate the amazing mothers I have in my life...
My mom raised FIVE children as a single parent. I don't think I could've ever fully realized the amazement of this until I became a parent myself. She has shown so much strength, love, compassion and commitment to her children (and now grandchildren), it is truly remarkable. I will be forever grateful for the value she has deeply instilled in me, to always put your children first. No matter what. She lived by this and I'm sure will continue to live by this for the rest of her life. I love you so much, mom!
Kathy is such a loving, giving person and an amazing grandmother to our children. Scott has often talked about what a loving mother she was to him growing up and continues to be today. We know we can always count on her to be there for us, which is truly gift we cannot put into words. I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful mother-in-law.
Stef has always been such a kind and loving person in my life. She has taught me a LOT about being a mother myself. She gives so much of herself to raising Kai and I've always admired her patience, dedication and ability to stay true to herself. She shows me a different outlook on raising a child and isn't afraid to question conventional or 'main-stream' ways of parenting, doctors, and the educational system. She does her research and I love that we can learn from each other.
The most amazing thing that has happened in my life by far is becoming a mother. I don't believe that you truly understand unselfish love until you have a child of your own (at least I didn't ;). Everyone's journey in life is different and for me and my journey, I know that God intended for me to have children. He knew that I wouldn't be my best person until Tycen and Shaylie entered my life. I'm not saying that I am my best person every day or maybe not even any day...but they have opened my eyes and my heart and shown me the person I want and desire to be. I know that since I've become a mother, I have grown more as a person (in 2 1/2 years) than I have in the rest of my 26 1/2 years of life combined. I feel complete in a way that I have never felt before. I can only thank the Lord for blessing me with such an amazing gift (actually, two gifts :), of becoming a mother!


