17 Months Old

Tycen and Shaylie are 17 months old! They are changing so fast and are at such a fun age. They are playing with each other more and more and completely adore one another. I just LOVE spending every day with them. They absolutely light up my life.

Here's some of what we've been up to this past month...

Oma Stef and Uncle Kai came to visit us at the end of last month! We had a fun time and got to just hang out and play all day together :)

One of Tycen and Shaylie's favorite place to be is outside. We're so fortunate to have a new park practically in our backyard and try to get over there as much as possible.

I usually pull them part-way in their wagon and then let them walk once we're off the sidewalk/street area.
They love to help me push the wagon :)
Shaylie being silly and walking like a duck:

Shaylie sporting her 'Ashland attire' (my family knows exactly what I'm talking about ;) Nope, she's not picking out her own outfits just yet...I'm just staying true to my roots every now and then :)

Tyce out for a morning jog:
They love to swing together:

Playing in the sand:
This wide open field is perfect for running around! I bought them a soccer ball a few weeks ago and they love running around and kicking it (or picking it up and either throwing it or playing keep away with one another)
As usual, I have a lot of high chair photos because this is the only place where they stay relatively still :)

Our pretty Shay Shay Bunny:
Our handsome, happy-go-lucky Buggy Boy:

Showing how they can use utensils now:

Tycen thinks this is the most clever trick and always gets so proud of himself when he puts things on his head: food, utensils, you name it. The messier the better. Of course, Shaylie likes to mimic everything he does, so it makes for some messy meals. It's hard not to laugh about it when you see this face looking back at you!
Face painting:

Tyce and Shay snuggling with their teddy bears:
Play time!
Best Buddies:

Tyce and Shay Shay love to explore new things. They both are mostly running instead of walking (especially Tycen) and with that comes more falls...
Tycen's first shiner:
Shortly after he got his black eye, he skinned his chin:

Shaylie did a header on the sidewalk:

...but luckily she's a tough little cookie! Oh, and she's up to 5 teeth now!!
We are pretty good about not reacting unless they are really hurt or need our help, so they don't usually get too flustered when they fall and get a bruise here and there. It is hard to see them get hurt, though, and I am so proud of them for their determination. How frustrating and annoying would it be to fall countless times a day when just trying to get from point A to point B?!
New tricks at 17 months:
*Can sign over 30 signs consistently and know over 40 signs (**see below)
*As I already mentioned, both Tyce and Shaylie are running
*Kick a soccer ball
*Draw
*Say several words (which I am so so terrible about writing down and keeping track of!)
*Play hide and seek with each other (they LOVE this game and do it daily, their favorite hiding place is in the closet between the clothes)
*Chase each other and Sydney
*Open doors (Tyce has been doing this for a while, but Shaylie just started as she is now finally tall enough to reach the handles)
*Fit correct shapes through shape sorter (I have no idea what these are called :)
*Go down the slide by themselves (with mommy and/or daddy close by)
*Share things with each other including toys, food, and random household items they are playing with
I know there is so much more they have learned this past month that I haven't included. I'm always amazed at how fast they are changing. They still love music and ask me to play music for them whenever they eat breakfast, lunch or dinner (by signing it). They also love to dance and instinctively do so at the first sounds of music, which is too cute for words.
**Signs they can do: Tycen, Shaylie, daddy, mommy, grandma, grandpa, dog, bird, no, yes, more, all done, milk, food/eat, water, car, airplane, bath, play, sleep/night night, help, please, thank you, sorry, hello/good-bye, music, I love you, blow kisses, book, change diaper, draw, brush teeth, quiet, outside, shoe, ball. Other signs they know: share, hurt, banana, peas, cereal, love, cat. I will plan to teach them more as I learn more, too. It is really amazing how much they love communicating and it takes so much potential frustration out of the daily routine.
We love these kids with all our heart. Scott and I praise God everyday for blessing us with such bright, kind-hearted, loving, adorable, hilarious, sweet-as-can-be, heaven-sent angel children.