After breakfast, Scott, Grandma Jan and the kids took the MAX into downtown Portland for a quick train ride in the morning...one of the kids favorite activities (what a great daddy they have!).
After the train ride, they all headed to Esther Short Park to meet me for lunch and to enjoy the festivities that were going on (the first ever Vancouver marathon was on Father's day and there was live music and lots of activities going on in the park).
During naptime, Scott was able to go visit Papa for a bit before going to the barber shop to get a haircut, wash and head massage (...one of his favorites :). After I got home from my conEd course, we all headed over to Papa's house for a family BBQ. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the dads (Papa, Nick and Scott). The only picture I got was this cute one of Tyce who wandered upstairs, found this helmet and football in Papa's office and came downstairs looking like this...
Tycen and Shaylie are beyond blessed with having Scott for their daddy. He is so involved in their everyday lives and they adore him beyond words. He always knows how to make the kids laugh and they truly light up when they are around him. They love every minute they are with him and miss him when he's gone. Having a close relationship with my own dad, I know how important it is and couldn't be more grateful that my children also have a close relationship with their dad. I fall in love with Scott more and more everyday just watching him love on our kids :) Thanks for being our rock, provider, winder-upper (usually just before bedtime ;), gentle, loving, firm (when needed :), silly, amazing daddy, hubby and best friend. We love you beyond words, babe!!
In honor of Father's Day, I also want to acknowledge the other important fathers in my life. First, I'm so grateful for David and the relationship he has with Scott and his other kids. He is without a doubt, their #1 fan. He would do anything for his family and often reminds us of this. There are many things I admire about David...his hard work, commitment, love for Christ and family, generosity, and kind-heart.
As I already mentioned, I have always had a very special relationship with my own dad. It's hard to explain what an amazing father my dad is without explaining how he showed his love for me. Growing up, I knew I could always count on him for anything. We lived about 7 hours apart for the majority of my childhood years, but I always felt very close to him, as he often made the long drive to visit and we talked on the phone regularly. I then moved in and lived with my dad for part of middle school and all of high school, which was both very special and at times very challenging as you might imagine the complexities of a pre-teen/teenage girl living alone with her dad... I think it's safe to say that we both learned a lot about each other and ourselves during these years :)
To say my dad was supportive would be an understatement. When I was trying to decide which college I wanted to go to, my dad drove me through all of California (I was certain I wanted to go to college in California) to any and every college I was interested in so I could see the campus and town. My dad was definitely my #1 fan when it came to sports. He came to every single one of my games (volleyball and basketball) and track meets in high school, as well as most of my volleyball games in college. He traveled near and far (even to Fairbanks, AK in the middle of winter!) to support me and watch me play. He also took me to Thailand in 2005, which I will never forget!!
It was largely because of my dad that I followed through with my dream of becoming a PT and attending graduate school. After getting accepted at Pacific University, I was afraid to take out student loans and it was my dad who gave me a better perspective and talked me into going. He even bought a town home in Hillsboro that I could live in to help alleviate some of the costs. I know there are a million other examples of how great my dad is, but I think I've painted a good picture :) Dad, I will always be grateful for the love and support you've given me as well as relationship we share. I love you very much and look forward to many more years of memories together, along with Stef and Kai. I'm excited watch Tycen and Shaylie continue building the bond they share with their very special Gramps, who they adore :)
And of course, it wouldn't feel right to talk about all of the fathers in my life without acknowledging our heavenly Father. His love for us is greater than we could ever (or never) imagine...it is unconditional, unselfish, unchanging and everlasting. Thank you, Lord, our heavenly father, for creating and blessing us with all of the wonderful fathers in our lives!


