Great Grandma Sally 6.12.1931 -- 6.24.2011








We feel beyond blessed to have been able to celebrate Grandma Sally's 80th birthday on June 12, 2011!

Tycen and Shaylie helped me make Grandma Sally's gifts:








Grandma Sally just before opening our gifts:












To our surprise, she immediately put on the shirt we made for her...I can't express enough how magical it is to have the last pictures ever taken of her in this special shirt we made for her...
"Grandma's hold our heart forever...."












Grandpa Jack and Grandma Sally, married 56 years! :)













The sweater Grandma Sally wore to her party matched the shirt we made her perfectly! :)







Cousin Mikey and soon-to-be Cousin-in-law Jake playing a little bball with Kai and Tyce:










 












I didn't get any pictures of all my grandparent's friends at the party, but I have to say I was surprised at how popular they are! ;) You can see their very good friend, "Murph" in the background of this picture, along with me and my sweet little bro :) 








Sisters, minus Carol who wasn't able to make it up from California







Love this picture, Cousin Jill is so great with kids :)












Maybe someday Aunt Peggy can teach Tyce and Shay how to play piano :)












The week before Grandma Sally's birthday, God was placing something very clearly on my heart...He wanted me to share with my grandma some of my fondest memories I had growing up with her. To be honest, I found this to be slightly uncomfortable, as it's easier for me to write my appreciation for others in words rather than speak them face to face. I cannot begin to express now how grateful I am that I listened to God's voice and shared these memories with my grandmother in the last few minutes I'll ever have with her on this earth. It gave me a peace that is beyond explanation with my grandmother's passing. The reason I'm sharing this is that I hope it can be a lesson to all of us, that we openly (and frequently) express our love, gratitude and appreciation for the ones we love...for we never know when they might not be here for us to tell them face to face.

Looking back on my grandmother's birthday party, I can see God's plan and timing so clearly. I thank the Lord for giving Grandma Sally and her friends and family this last celebration of her life before she left this world and joined Him in heaven. 













I cannot express how blessed I am to have such amazing grandparents in my life. I have always been very close with both Grandpa Jack and Grandma Sally. Ever since I was a very small girl, I often visited my grandparents and stayed at their home for days at a time. As I got older and more involved in sports, they came and supported me by watching hours upon hours of volleyball, basketball and Grandpa Jack's favorite, track & field. I have so many fond memories growing up with them, they will always hold a very, very special place in my heart!







Grandma Sally passed away somewhat unexpectedly in her home on June 24, 2011. She is by far one of the strongest women I know. She had a passion for taking care of others and showed her love best by her acts of service. Grandma Sally always put others needs before her own and in all the years I knew her, I never once saw her pamper herself, go on a shopping spree, get a pedicure, go on a 'get-away' vacation, etc. She truly lived her life for others.

She raised 5 amazing children and then went on to raise countless golden retriever dogs. Her passion for dogs is one of the things that I will remember most about Grandma Sally. It was so special as a little girl to always grow up around puppies. She even let me pick a puppy out of a litter that she kept, Streaker, who I will never forget :) She had up to 6 golden retriever dogs at one time! And that's not to mention all the dogs she boarded, taught obedience classes, etc.

Grandma Sally lived with Type I diabetes (insulin dependent) for all of her childhood and early adult years before finally being diagnosed as an adult. This is literally unheard of in a day like today with all that we now know about diabetes. Being in the health care field and working with many people who have diabetes, I know what an extremely difficult disease this is to live with and how hard it can be to manage. I have so much respect for her and how she dealt with this; never once did I ever hear her complain about it, or even mention it (without being questioned first), for that matter. Again, she is definitely one of the strongest women I've ever known. Ultimately, however, this is what took her life.

Here is a copy of our dear Grandma Sally's obituary:  
Sally E. Burke

Burke, Sally E. 80 June 12, 1931 June 24, 2011 Sally Edith Burke passed away Friday, June 24, 2011, surrounded by her family. She had recently celebrated her 80th birthday. Sally was born June 12, 1931, in Springdale, Ore., to Horace and Edna May Tuckett. She graduated from Roosevelt High School in Seattle, Wash., and became a flight attendant for Pan American Airways. In 1955, she married John M. "Jack" Burke in Seattle, Wash. They moved to Portland in 1960 and raised five children. Sally and Jack were charter members of Pacific Rim Golden Retriever Club of Oregon, and Sally formerly served as president. They trained dogs and fostered abandoned Golden Retrievers. Sally devoted her life to her husband, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and her dogs in the only way she knew how: selflessly, lovingly and without complaint. Sally is survived by her husband, Jack of Wilsonville; son, John (Stephanie) of Olympia, Wash.; daughters, Joyce Letcher (Gary) of Portland, Peggy Irvine (Steve) of Tualatin, Nancy Burke of Portland and Carol Williamson of Kingsburg, Calif.; 12 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren. At her request, no funeral will be held. Private interment at Crescent Grove Cemetery. Donations may be made to Guide Dogs for the Blind or the American Diabetes Association.

Here are a few pictures from Grandma Sally's interment:
 













This picture is amazing to me...when I took it with my camera, the lighting looked normal. As soon as I previewed it, though, I could see this bright light over Grandpa Jack's head...I believe it's a symbol of Grandma Sally's angel, who will be watching over the love of her life until they are together again in heaven :)












Aunt Carol and her boyfriend, Mark:







I had to post this picture twice:
Beyond words...
 






We all talked my grandpa into going to lunch with the family after the interment:















Our family also got together at my grandparents house for a little BBQ the weekend after my grandma passed away. I am so blessed to have such a close, loving family to lean on in times of grief and struggle.














The entire quote in which I used part of to make Grandma Sally's birthday shirt is:
"Grandmas hold our tiny hands for just a little while, but our hearts forever." 

Grandma Sally, it brings me comfort to know that you will live on in my heart forever....until the day I will hold your hand again in heaven :) I love you.