Let the potty training officially begin...
After months of procrastinating, we finally had our Potty Party the weekend of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! We mostly followed the 'Potty Training in 3 Days' strategy, which entails staying home for 3 fun, long and crazy days...
The kids started off the day by throwing away all their diapers. They had picked out 'big boy' and 'big girl' undies with me a couple of weeks before their party and were very excited to be able to finally wear them:
I made the kids a banana bread cake for their potty party and we sang, 'Happy Potty Party to You!' every afternoon for all three days of the Potty Party (good thing I made such a big cake to last us all three days, and some :)
We have been doing stamps for trying and stickers on a sticker chart for going potty on the toilet. Tyce caught on pretty quickly and filled up his sticker chart (25 stickers) within about a week of training. I took him to the toy store to pick out a 'potty prize' after filling up his chart and he chose a remote control Thomas Train. He then quickly filled up a second chart and picked out a fire truck as a prize.
Shaylie is so happy for Tyce and his success with potty training, which is too cute :)
After the 3 days, we realized Shay wasn't quite ready to be in 'big girl' undies yet as she only went potty on the toilet about 2-3 times total after the 3 days.We decided it'd be best to put her in pull-ups and just let her go on the toilet whenever she wanted to or whenever it was her idea. As much as I really didn't want to use pull-ups, I really think this was a blessing-in-disguise as I think it'd have been pretty overwhelming to have two 2-year olds in 'big boy/girl' undies and dealing with accidents throughout the day--particularly when out and about.
I can remember one of our first outings after our Potty Party, I took them to Target and as soon as I loaded the kids in the stroller, Tyce told me he needed to go potty. I was prepared with their portable toilet seat (which I still can't believe that I carry around everywhere...at least it's hidden in its own special purse :), however, as soon as I put him on the toilet Shay announced (not surprisingly) that she had to go potty, too. Since she's in pull-ups I don't have to choose which child to let go potty first, which is quite a relief.
It's been about a month since we started potty training and Tyce is pretty well potty-trained. He still has occasional accidents, mostly when we're away from home and especially when playing outside. The hardest part about the accidents have been when he does a #2 in his undies, which he's done more times than I can count on one hand :( It wouldn't be such a big deal except that it usually means a bath because I haven't quite mastered taking off his undies without getting poopie all down his legs. I am mostly still reminding him to go potty and now only give him a sticker when he initiates it.
Shay has been doing pretty well in the past couple of weeks and will go potty on the toilet about 1-2 times per day (which she initiates). She needs about 5 more stickers before she'll get her first prize! :) Both kids are in pull-ups ('night time undies') during naps and at night.
Potty training is definitely an adventure. You just never know what these kiddos are going to surprise you with :) Occasionally, Tyce and Shay will request a little 'privacy' when they are on the toilet...this is how I found Tyce after about 1-2 minutes of privacy...the look on his face is priceless :)


