We had originally planned to have my dad's side of the family over...my dad, Stef, Kai, grandparents and aunts Joyce, Nancy and Peggy for a mini-celebration and so everyone could spend some quality time with the kiddos. Well, unfortunately our long stretch of health ended the week prior and we were all battling a pretty nasty cold. So, we had to cancel the party to keep all of our family from getting sick. Not quite what I envisioned on my birthday :( I was feeling pretty crummy on Friday, March 5th and was trying so hard to not feel sorry for myself being sick and taking care of two sick children, too. This was only my second cold in over 2.5 years, so I think it has affected me more than it probably should have.
I woke up on Saturday and decided I should count my blessings and make the most of the situation. I have SO much to be thankful for and sometimes special days like your birthday make just another ordinary day seem especially extraordinary. As you can see by the pictures below, the weather couldn't have been more beautiful! It was a little bitter sweet for me because I had envisioned going on a very long run the morning of my birthday and this was definitely the best day of the year so far, but I couldn't muster up the energy to go running.
So, we decided to go for plan B and with the help of Grandma and Grandpa Haij, Scott and I were able to go to the gym together for a nice easy workout in the morning, which we don't get to do together very often. Scott even agreed to try a pilates class with me (sorry, babe...had to share :), I think he lasted about 7 minutes, but still, I completely applaud him for the effort (how many guys would do that for their wife, right?!)
After the gym, we came home and Tycen and Shaylie helped everyone sing Happy Birthday and then they helped me open presents. Scott picked out several new running clothes for me and thankfully I was feeling well enough to enjoy on a 14-mile run (in style) on Sunday! :)
As the day went on, I started to feel a little bit better and while the kids were napping I was able to get out of the house and do a little shopping :) Nothing like a little retail therapy to make a girl feel better!
After the kids nap we took them to the park so they could play. Shaylie was feeling much better (she caught the cold first and passed it along to us several days later) but poor Tyce was feeling pretty crummy. He was a trouper, though, and had as much fun as he could considering the circumstances.
You can see by the look on his face that he's not feeling so well...
Scott and I had been planning for a long time to go out to dinner to one of my favorite restaurants, Typhoon. Luckily, we were both feeling well enough to go out!
We were running a little bit late for our reservations, so Scott dropped me off while he went to park the car. When I walked in and spoke to the hostess, she told me to go ahead and go back to the table in the corner, which Scott had mentioned he was going to request since we had sat there the last 2 years on my birthday :) I thought it was a little odd that she didn't walk me back, but didn't think much of it. As I walked to the back room, I saw my good friend, Emily's husband, Steve. I was very surprised to see him there and was thinking it was strange that Emily didn't mention to me that he was going to be there since she knew I was going there for dinner.
Anyhow, a lot of thoughts crossed my mind quickly at this point, but I just remember that I kept looking for our table in the corner and didn't see one. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that Steve was sitting at a big table and as I started to look around, I saw many of my closest friends. Needless to say, it took far to long to register that Scott had pulled off a surprise party for me!!
From left to right: Steve, Emily, Rachael, Nick, Michael, Chante, me, Scott, April and Tucker
Here is a picture of my birthday cake, isn't it amazing?! Another one of the many surprises that Scott had for me...

After dinner we went to the Blue Moon so we could hang out and talk some more. I cannot even begin to describe how special I felt knowing that all my best friends were there to celebrate my birthday with me and that Scott had been so thoughtful to plan this all! I love you all very much and am SO thankful that you were all there to help make the evening so much fun. This is definitely one birthday I will never forget :)


