They're really developing and asserting their independence and like to do things without any help (i.e. buckling their booster seats and car seats, climbing in/out of chairs/car seats, going potty, etc). Along with gaining independence, Tyce and Shay like to get themselves dressed without help...including undies, pants, shirts, socks and shoes (they usually need a little help with putting things on the right direction or foot :). They also like to pick out their own outfits; Shaylie is getting really good at matching clothes and Tyce's favorite outfit is anything that involves 'swishy pants' (aka. sweats...he doesn't always win this one and we have to compromise with a shirt of his choice :).
Along with increasing independence comes increased frustration as they aren't always able to accomplish what they have their hearts set on. We're really trying to help them cope with this frustration in healthy ways--taking deep breaths, hitting a pillow vs. each other, etc :) As much as it can test our patience as parents when we are repeatedly listening to two 2 1/2 year olds have a melt-down over what seems like such a little problem, we have empathy for them as it can't be easy to struggle with something you want to do so badly.
One of Shaylie's new phrases is, "look at this" or "watch me"...she loves to get praise and put a smile on other people's face as she shows off her talents. Tyce is still really in to playing instruments, sports and he loves jumping :) They both love playing outside in the backyard with the sand box and helping with yard work.
Tycen and Shaylie are best pals and we LOVE to watch their relationship with one another grow. They love to play together, whether they are picking on each other, helping each other, or most often, making each other laugh.
Here are some cute and random pictures from the last couple of months...
Shaylie's first french braid :)
Tyce wearing Grandma Kathy's glasses:
One of our favorite indoor places to play, Firstenburg Center:
Shaylie likes to hoard the baby dolls....twins...
...triplets...
Fun at the Portland Children's Museum with my friend, April and her daughter, Raeley:
We watched a concert....Tyce and Shay absolutely love music and dancing and had a great time, they even went up on stage without mommy and daddy!
New Curioius George exhibit:
Construction zone:
Painting:
We got a membership to the Oregon Zoo and saw some new things that we hadn't seen there before:
Alligator...
We've seen the black bear, but this time he was playing a drum, which the kids thought was really funny :)
They finished the primate exhibit, which is so neat...
Orangutans...
Chimpanzees....
Baby giraffe, so cute:
We've seen the lions before, but I just wanted to include this picture. The lions are always sitting on this rock...they are such amazing and beautiful creatures!
And, of course, one of my favorites, the elephants :)
We met up with Emily, her parents and 'The Boys' for part of our visit to the zoo, too!
Tyce and Shay also had their first taste of an elephant ear, thanks to the boys for sharing theirs :)
I painted this bookshelf for Tyce (he helped me with his hand prints :) to match his room and the dresser I painted for him a while back. I think it turned out so adorable. Tyce absolutely LOVES books and he loves to read. Often times when I'm getting ready in the morning and it suddenly gets quiet, I go looking for Tyce thinking that he must be in to something or up to no good...more times than not, though, he is sitting in a rocking chair or his bean bag and quietly reading a book. Melts my heart :)
More pictures of Tycen's room...
New shades:
Our future musicians:
Fun at the mall:
Silly Siblings:
I just love this little mouse face Tyce makes, always makes me laugh :)
One of the many beauties of having a twin sister....
Someday, Tyce will probably wish I didn't share these pictures with all our family and friends, but I just couldn't resist. After putting some of their clean clothes away, I came into my bathroom to find Tyce putting on some of my eyeshadow...I have to say, he did a pretty good job :) When I found him, he looked up at me and said, "that's so pretty, mommy"...so funny!
Shaylie is such a trooper with letting me do her hair everyday. Here's a cute little 'do' that reminds me of my old volleyball days (we always had cute hairdos with ribbons :)
This spring, we've spent a ton of time at the park. I'm a firm believer that kids need the outdoors and thrive there. Children are so much happier and learn more when they're outdoors playing, this is what they were created to do at young ages, PLAY. With all the crazy toys and gadgets kids play with these days, they can easily get overstimulated when they don't get the opportunity to play outside. Even though we try to limit the amount and type toys the kids have, they inevitably accumulate. This is one reason that I think kids are so content when they're outside in nature, which is why we try to spend as much time there as possible!


